Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 09:12:57
On 08-Apr-01 Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> If it is a Wasabi booth, that's different -- and we may have such
> booths in the future. I was merely offering to run NetBSD booths, and
> we fully understand that if it is a NetBSD booth it has to be run
> neutrally and not as a booth for our company.

Well.. I think there is a fine line between a problem and not a problem..  Let
me give a few examples:

Charles runs a NetBSD booth, you give him a box of wasabi slinkys to hand out
for free.  I find that acceptable, because Charles (a non-wasabiite) is running
the booth, and talking to people, and you get some exposure.

You print CD's for a netbsd event, with WASABI in huge letters, and netbsd in
little letters.  I'm not convinced this is a great thing.  TNF needs to be
fundamentally separate from wasabi.  We don't want to give the impression that
our product, is reliant upon your staying in business, or your architectural
views.  I feel that regardless of how well your business does, TNF still has an
obligation to provide a distribution, and have it's name known.

You run a booth, pay for all the costs, and fuel it with wasabi personel.  I'm
not happy with that idea at all.. for reasons I've allready stated.

You pay for a booth, non-wasabi people man it, with perhaps one of your
employees helping out.  A few wasabi items are around, but overall the tone is
NetBSD/TNF.  That.. I personally have no objections to.

Remember though.. I'm just speaking as an invidual here.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi