Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 10:29:21
"Charles M. Hannum" <abuse@spamalicious.com> writes:
> Agreed.  And though I've heard before from Perry that he was willing to
> do things like pay for some CD production, when it actually came to the
> details, he was steadfast that they would all have `Wasabi' printed in
> large letters on them.

It is true that we sell CDs, and they say "Wasabi" on them. OTOH, we
paid for part of a bunch of your tchotchkes, and they don't have
"Wasabi" written on them.

I've never offered to pay for someone else's CD production.

> I think there's a more fundamental philosophical issue, as well.
> Actively causing people to equate `NetBSD' and `Wasabi' is *definitely*
> the wrong thing for the NetBSD Project.

As I said, we ran a NetBSD booth at LWE, not a Wasabi booth. We had
merchandise from you (and from Wasabi but we would have sold anything
that said "NetBSD" on it), we had copies of Daemon News, we had a big
banner saying "NetBSD", we pushed NetBSD when people came to the
booth, etc. We were not pushing our company. If someone had brochures,
merchandise or anything else from a competing company to give to us
(provided it was a NetBSD company, of course) they would have been put
out on the table for people to take or buy along with the existing
stuff (including yours). Given that a bunch of the people involved
were not Wasabi personel I don't think that our running a "Wasabi"
booth would have gone unnoticed.

But as I said, if people have concerns, we certainly don't have a
desire to force anyone to take our help.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com