Subject: Re: [abuse@spamalicious.com: Re: Comdex post-mortem]
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 06:13:02
> So, for example, for Comdex it cost ~$5k all told.  And that's just out

And in 2000 there were just under 20 events, but how much did they cost on
average?

Guessing $4k, that's $80k a year.

$80 x 1000 donors, or $800 x 100 donors, or $200 x 400 donors. Per year.

Part of the problem with show bills like this is that they're a bottomless
pit. It's a lot easier to donate when you know you're giving something
tangible (like an extra hard drive) that has a clear and obvious use.

NetBSD could really use a sugar daddy.

Apparently FreeBSD still has one:
	http://www.windriver.com/press/html/bsdi_faq.html

Near the bottom it talks about FreeBSD CD's continuing to go out and so on.
The ridiculous legalese paragraph is actually a standard boilerplate that
appears on every Wind River press release I can remember seeing.

As far as I can tell, no statement has been made about taking BSD/OS to
other platforms, nor has anything been said about Net or Open. Customers
are bound to ask about non-x86 support, though. Traditionally in the RTOS
market it is a big selling point to support a large list of processors.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com