Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 00:23:41
On 07-Apr-01 Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Wasabi might be willing to pick up the effort associated with NetBSD
> presence at shows. We did (IMHO) a reasonable job doing that at Linux
> World in New York and could conceivably do it elsewhere. Increased
> profile for NetBSD is generally in our corporate interest.

Speking completely for myself..  but something seems wrong with this..
depending on what your intention of "pick up the effort" was.

If you mean, help defray the costs, so people like Charles and other volunteers
could man the booths, I think thats wonderful, and is to be commended.

If you mean, Wasabi should officially, or soley represent NetBSD at these
shows, I have a problem with that.  You are running a business, your needs out
of shows such as these may differ from that of the project.  I don't believe
that you could or should try to work both sides of the fence, as a number of
conflicts of interest might present themselves.

One possible example, might be a competitor, wishing to provide consulting and
CD distributions for NetBSD approaching the booth.  For the project, that is a
good thing.. for you, it might be bad.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi