Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/07/2001 08:12:57
In message <200104071257.FAA03136@shell17.ba.best.com>, Todd Whitesel writes:
>>   next year will be... interesting.  I'm told there's at least one
>>   article that ponders why they didn't pick up NetBSD (given that it
>>   already runs on `everything'), but I haven't actually gotten a
>>   reference to it yet.

Uhm.  They didn't pick up NetBSD because BSD/OS has a revenue stream.  Wind
River makes a lot of money on licensing, and doesn't plan to change this any
time soon.  So, they get a few very good engineers, they get an OS with an
established history of commercial licensing, and so on.

You may rest assured that a number of people in the engineering group
are well aware that NetBSD has a lot of very interesting code, and I continue
to naively believe that this will eventually lead to better cooperation.  The
new management appear to be a lot more capable of understanding this than
the old one.

BTW, speaking of "people in engineering", I'm now one of them, and I've been
told in no uncertain terms that if I want to write code for use in NetBSD, no
one plans to stop me.

:)

-s