Subject: Re: BSD, MIDI and high-end sound cards? (and a letter about BSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/08/2001 08:23:33
In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0103072112240.19546-100000@pilchuck.reedmedia.net>, "
Jeremy C. Reed" writes:
>Sound works great on my NetBSD/i386-based desktop, but I don't know
>anything about high-end sound cards. What are some examples of "high-end"
>sound cards?

Well, as an example, consider the Yamaha DS2416.  It's a "sound card" which
can take plug-in modules to add many additional ins and outs to it, including
digital I/O.  Internally, it's a 24-channel digital mixer with EQ on every
channel, and three fairly serious DSP's which can be used as effects loops
*entirely onboard*.

Comparing this to, say, a SoundBlaster doesn't even make *sense*.

>Do the BSDs support "high-end" sound cards?

Not at that level.  :)

>Do the BSDs offer MIDI support for the "serious MIDI user"[2]?

I don't think any of the Unix family do; MIDI requires realtime, and none
of us have it.  Or at least, the ones that have it aren't concerned with
MIDI performance, they're concerned with traditional embedded apps.

Honestly, if you want a MIDI alternative to Windows, your option, singular,
is BeOS these days.

-s