Subject: Re: first impression
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/21/2001 15:58:46
On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> - show how I can easily switch between window managers

From the Unix classes I've given, this has always impressed people
massively. If course with modern desktop environment/window managers it's
easy to switch themes, but still I think it'll impress them a lot (mostly
as Windows doesn't have this AFAIK).

> - use vncviewer to connect to other systems
> - run an X11 client on a remote server

I'd rather push X to the front. Make it VERY clear to them that the code
is really executed on the remote machine, not only the remote machine's
drives etc. are used.

> I am looking for some ideas to make a good first impression of BSD
> to non-BSD people.
>
> Can anyone share some great examples of software or tasks so I can impress
> my students about BSD?

Show 'em some hotplugging stuff, maybe for network cards and esp. USB
equipment.

> [1] Thank you Nick Hudson! I am using the KDE2 pkgsrc from your site.
> Currently, I am using konqueror running on my NetBSD system at school with
> the X display pointing to a Xvnc server on my mom's remote Debian Linux
> box and I am viewing it at home with vncviewer on my NetBSD workstation.
> This first real impression of konqueror is great even though I am two
> computers and three connections away!

Heh. We shoud REALLY have this in pkgsrc!

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>