Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2001 18:22:46
Can we please remove the netbsd-advocacy list from any continuation of
this thread?  We don't need this, and it definitely is not in any way
promoting or advocating the use of NetBSD, other than possibly sending
some FreeBSD folks our way.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, John Galt wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> >At 10:10 AM 1/19/2001, Brad Knowles wrote:
> >
> >>        Right, everyone who opposes or disagrees with Brett is inherently evil.  I think we've heard this somewhere before.
> >
> >Yes. It's a statement commonly used to brand someone you are attacking
> >as "delusional" (as you do later in your message).
>
> Well, what's sauce for the goose...
>

> >[Snip]
> >
> >>        My personal reason for opposing you most of the time is that I find you an excessively annoying and tedious person to deal with,
> >
> >I'm terribly sorry if you find it "annoying and tedious" that I will
> >not sit idly by while others attack me. I think it's my right to respond.
>
> YOU attacked ME, and I only responded after a couple of months of allowing
> you unhindered rein to lie, cheat, and steal, so yes, >I< DO expect you to
> shut up and not respond.
>
> >[Snip]
> >
> >>        And with that, I think I'm about ready to killfile you, too.  I believe that I am a rather tolerant person, and I've only ever killfiled two other people in my whole life with Unix (dating back to 1984), but there's only so much from you that even I am willing to put up with.
> >
> >Another common element of the piling-on and shunning that occurs
> >frequently here: a dramatic declration that the attacker is adding the
> >person being attacked to his kill file (and an implicit request to others
> >to do likewise).
>
> Funny, the only thing that I see resembling a pile around here is you, you
> steaming pile of maggot-ridden faeces.
>

> >>        The worst of it is, in this particular case I think you have a valid point about there being a certain atmosphere of hazing with regards to the FreeBSD project -- maybe not from the committers themselves, but certainly by other people who are on the mailing lists and presumably have been on the mailing lists for some time.
> >
> >And yet you're not introspective enough to recognize that you're
> >participating in it.
>
> Perhaps he is, perhaps I am, but I can pretty much guarantee he and I have
> nothing in common except the fact that both of us despise you.
>
> >>Sadly, this point has now gotten lost in the noise that you have generated about yourself.
> >
> >Funny: looking back at this thread, it looks more as if you and a few others
> >have been generating noise about me. When I entered the conversation, I
> >merely agreed with a previous poster that the FreeBSD community had problems
> >with hazing and shunning. It's ironic that the exchange has become
> >self-referential. Add me to your kill file (which, of course, you're free
> >to do), and you'll prove that you're part of the same phenomenon.
>
> The noise generated about you is mostly due to your own actions.  You made
> the bed, and I hope that you like being adopted.  I for one will NOT shun
> you: I have better things to do with you, like adopt you as my own
> personal flamebait.
>

> >--Brett

> [...]

|   Paul Goyette    | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |   E-mail addresses:    |
| Network Engineer, | BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |   paul@whooppee.com    |
|   Unix hacker,    | 91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net  |
|  & World Cruiser  |                          | paul@mv-aftereight.com |