Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: None <brett@lariat.org>
From: None <opentrax@email.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2001 15:25:08
On 19 Jan, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 12:18 AM 1/19/2001, Greywolf wrote:
>
>>Beg pardon, good sirs, but is this what usually happens on the FreeBSD
>>lists, or is this back-and-forth merely an anomaly provided for the
>>amusement of the casually-included NetBSD crowd?
>>
>>When there was a statement made about "hazing", it was made to sound
>>as though it covered both NetBSD and FreeBSD.  Observing the ping-pong
>>match in progress, I think I can safely say that the newbies in NetBSD
>>are treated with much less of a hazing than they are in FreeBSD.  Why
>>this is, I'm not sure.
>
> I think that this is because the NetBSD crowd, overall, is far more laid
> back than the FreeBSD crowd. When one enters a group of FreeBSDers, there's
> a fairly good chance that one will bump up against one big ego or another.
> The probability isn't 100%; that's why you'll hear some people say, "I
> had no trouble" while others -- including me -- have been roundly excoriated
> from Day One. And there's a "pile on" phenomenon; when someone in a key
> position decides that a newbie is a threat and flames him or her, others will
> join in.

I have to agree, at least for the sake of Terry's paper.
There will be large denials of this, but I experience this "pile on"
behaviour myself, sometime because of my own manner-of-being.
None the less, the behaviour is experience and almost positive
Terry has an equation for this. :-)

				Best Regards,
				Jessem.