Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: None <nik@freebsd.org>
From: None <opentrax@email.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2001 15:19:50
On 19 Jan, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 01:06:49PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> 	Speaking as a relative newcomer to FreeBSD, I definitely feel
>> that there is a certain amount of hazing that goes on.  If you want
>> to contribute to the project, you're expected to write code.
>
> Manifestly not true.  Write new documentation or help improve existing
> documentation.
>
> That's probably the fastest track to getting a commit bit as well.

I have to disagree Nik.

As you know, I've been trying to get my bits in, but
without much success. To date, my best strategy has
been to document the protractedly behaviour that
happens when one use PR.

As a recent example, which you might be aware of, I was told my
addition to a man page would be mis-information. The reviewer
was chimed on by a person that revels in correcting errors
I make.

This, so called "mis-information", was in fact documented
in the man page, extended in a later version and repeated
in the source. The reviewer later agreed with me, scheduled
a review, I expect favorable outcoume.

None the less, if I was not able to "read the code", I believe
my changes would have been less than even.

				Best Regards,
				Jessem.