Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/18/2001 23:18:39
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

# Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:25:18 -0700
# From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
# To: Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
# Cc: Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG,
#      netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
#
# At 11:21 PM 1/18/2001, Jeremy Lea wrote:
#
# >Brett,  I think you need to lighten your view of the world.  The kill
# >files are there because people do this for fun, and reading a your
# >rants, flames and paranoid delusions just isn't fun!
#
# I see that you don't believe I've completed the obligatory
# "hazing" yet.

Beg pardon, good sirs, but is this what usually happens on the FreeBSD
lists, or is this back-and-forth merely an anomaly provided for the
amusement of the casually-included NetBSD crowd?

When there was a statement made about "hazing", it was made to sound
as though it covered both NetBSD and FreeBSD.  Observing the ping-pong
match in progress, I think I can safely say that the newbies in NetBSD
are treated with much less of a hazing than they are in FreeBSD.  Why
this is, I'm not sure.

Regarding ego-boo, anyone who's ever contributed code is not exempt.
How many people look at something they've written or patched and
smiled as it worked?  I know I do that.  In the grand scheme of things,
it's insignificant -- nobody knows (or cares) that I submitted the code.
It works, and that's all that matters, and that's just fine with me,
especially considering that I'm not a brilliant coder and can't do device
drivers.

Regarding the splits:  I was only present for the Net/Open split, and
I must confess I was a bit dismayed that it happened.  In doing my part
to try and step in and avert the split, I received no less than several
very good pixel-lashings from parties involved and have probably succeeded
in alienating several people.  So much for good intentions, but life goes
on.

You have no idea how many times I've mentioned that I'm tangentially
involved with BSD (read: I use it and occasionally submit problems and,
even less frequently, code to fix them) and been accosted for having such
hostile mailing lists.  I ask "Which BSD are you talking about?"
I'm told either OpenBSD or FreeBSD.  I think I've had a small percentage
of them report being on NetBSD, so we're not on a high horse over here,
especially when stuff that smells like System V or Solaris decides to
ride into town.  We have our very own System V advocate, and that creates
some rather...um...lively discussions, especially when people are forced
to look at why they object to importing the mechanism in question ("Does
it suck because it's technically unsound, or does it suck just because
it's System V?")

[Are there any TOTALLY uninitiated people out there who are unaware of
 the rivalry between the SysV camp and the BSD camp?  Ask someone sometime
 on either side of the fence for why their way is better, but get the
 other side of the story, too, and make your own decisions.]

Sorry to ramble; someone just happened to twiddle the boot flag on
something that's been compiling on the hard drive that is my brain...

# --Brett

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD is much like a tipi:  No windows, no gates, and an apache inside.