Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: None <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
From: Pedro F. Giffuni <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/18/2001 22:31:51
Greg Lehey wrote:

> > agreed to at least consider the other OS. I am not saying they
> > should consult each other for everything, but they could at least
> > keep in other in mind that would be great.
>
> Well, I agree with Nik that things are getting a lot closer.  But I
> think that the way to come closer together is for the individual
> subprojects to work together.  And I think that's happening.

A comment from an outsider: The codebases are converging slowly but
around the same principles. UBC and SMP, altough still early on
NetBSD, FreeBSD's initial multiplatform support, and the concept of
auditing derived from OpenBSD, are signs that the projects are sharing
objectives (maybe) for the first time.

Having three BSD camps has been great...did you notice that NetBSD's
development spurred when OpenBSD was created?? Maybe it's the time for
a unified "Free" BSD, maybe not.

This is just my personal view, and I don't really know the actors
here, but I don't see OpenBSD folding back into any other project.
While difficult, I would see NetBSD merging with FreeBSD in a
future..how far? nobody knows... when people have worked on a great
project for so many years it's difficult to move another camp
suddenly.

cheers,

    Pedro.