Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
From: Chris Fuhrman <cfuhrman@tfcci.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/18/2001 08:44:02
Howdy,

I'm trying to represent, in my mind, the "BSD Family Tree" and have come
up with the following ASCII drawing based on discussions here.  Please
note:

 * I am not an artist :)

 * I am assuming that OpenBSD split from NetBSD after BSD 4.4-Lite was
   release.  I am using the "dotted" lines to show BSD 4.4-Lite's
   influence on Net- and FreeBSD.

 * I can't remember if there were any interim releases between Net/2 and
   4.4-Lite

 * I am not placing Apple's Darwin on here.  I *think* it's based off of
   FreeBSD and, if so, I'll be happy to add it.

 * While this drawing loosely illustrates the time line, it is not, by
   any means, "to scale".

 * I am not responsible if your e-mail package munges the drawing.  It
   looked okay in pine dammit so it should look okay in yours ;)

Please feel free to e-mail me any glaring mistakes and I'll be happy to
repost this.

           +-----------+
           | BSD Net/2 |
           +-----------+
            |         |
 +-----------+        |
 +-----------+       |BSD4.4 Lite| - - - +
   |        |        +-----------+
   |        |                            |
   |       +-----------+
   |       |  NetBSD   | < - - - - - - - +
   |       +-----------+
                     |  OpenBSD  |

--
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman@tfcci.com      | Software Engineer