Subject: Death of the PeeCee
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/09/2001 10:23:00
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 06:09:19AM -0800, collver@softhome.net wrote:
> Please forgive me for prolonging this thread..

It's only a couple days old.  I hope no one will mind if we discuss it a
little bit longer.

> Have you ever installed NetBSD on a PC using a terminal that did not have
> line-drawing characters?

see http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/

also note my comment about AlphaBIOS.  The full story is, I had to use
a failsafe jumper to flash srm firmware onto my Alpha because AlphaBIOS's
fancy white-on-blue line-drawing interface wouldn't work on any physical
terminal, xterm, or rxvt I could find.

> I've been hearing that rhetoric for many years now.  Sales don't pronounce
> the PC dead yet!

I really have no idea what the figures are, sales or otherwise.  However,
I think it's clear that most of the innovation and new investment is
happening in other areas.  I believe innovation, investment, and consumer
satisfaction are better pedictors of the future market than current sales.
I'm fairly confident that further research would show most of the
businessmen who control the future agree with me.

This is why it is a Very Good Thing that NetBSD is so well-suited to
embedded and notPeeCee applications, thanks to its clean design,
unified code tree and build architecture, and BSD license---as well as
the specific features I mentioned in my earlier post.  The review we
are discussing is completely tangential to these issues, which are what
will really matter in the future.  Blue-and-white installer screens will
not matter in the future (if they ever mattered at all), because in the
future there will be no installing.