Subject: Re: Death of the PeeCee
To: None <collver@softhome.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/08/2001 21:17:04
collver@softhome.net said:

>I have heard others say that in the future there will be no operating
>system to speak of, and that hardware would be used through well-defined
>object interfaces.  If that eliminates the need for system administration,
>bring it on!  I'm not smart enough to see where BSD fits into this, other
>than being well established and inherently flexible.

Personally, I like general purpose computers and UNIX. I can't imagine
trying to use some toy-like thing as a server or a workstation. Unfortunately,
you can't buy a prebuilt Intel box anymore that looks like a GP computer.

On the newsgroup alt.folklore.computers they are now referring to the output
of Redmond as "gatesshit". Peecees have become dedicated "gatesshit".

Hell, you can't even buy a decent 101 key keyboard with real mechanical
switches anymore.

I now have more sparc systems than Intel. I can't see that changing.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com