Subject: Re: Nice to see NetBSD mentioned. However...
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/08/2001 06:09:19
Please forgive me for prolonging this thread..

> sysinst is not an ``old-style text installer.''  It has sane, efficient
> menus and widgets, and it can display a command's output inside a
> subwindow.

If sysinst is not an old-style text installer, what is an old-style text
installer?  A shell and some utilities?  Can it display a command's output
inside a subwindow, or does it just use a scrolling area?

>  The Twocows pontificator seems to be confusing ANSI-color
> and proprietary IBM PeeCee line drawing characters with ``modern
> installer.''  These characteristics make no useability/friendliness
> difference whatsoever, and they badly mangle output on many terminals
> that NetBSD supports.

I think the Twocows pontificator may also have been referring to the fact
that sysinst does not completely configure a system for you, as stated by
Manuel Bouyer.  Also, dude, PC is the preferred nomenclature.

I have seen programs, like lynx, that will use line drawing characters if
they are available, and use normal characters otherwise.  Even the MS-DOS
edit command would detect when it was run on a terminal incapable of
line-drawing characters, and it would use normal characters instead.  I'm
not saying that using line-drawing characters is a goal, but it should be
possible to use them without badly mangling anyone's terminal.

Have you ever installed NetBSD on a PC using a terminal that did not have
line-drawing characters?

>  A long time ago, a Bell Labs hacker developed the
> ``termcap'' idea.  Then RedHat broke new ground in the so-called-Unix
> community by throwing termcap's basic sanity out the window, in favour of
> installers based on old DOS-only ``terminal emulators'' for terminals that
> never existed---most of them had a terminal called ``ANSI-BBS'' which is
> what the RedHat and Debian colorful/linedrawing installers seem to be
> patterned after.  It's no wonder that the same people who used to struggle
> so hard to get a full-screen editor to work want us to concentrate on the
> pretty lines and colors.  Speaking as one who has tried to use AlphaBIOS
> over a serial console, I can only call these architectural decisions
> embarassingly foolish, but not half so foolish as one who looks at a
> correctly-functioning system and calls it ``incomplete'' just because he's
> never seen a system work correctly before.  This type of bogon
> design philosophy works great for side-scrolling video games based on
> character-cel glyph blocks like ``Legend of Zelda,'' which is a fine
> game by the way, but the philosophy has no place in any complex system,
> or any system accountable for large amounts of money.
>
> I'd also like to point out that several of the (completely rewritten)
> RedHat special-installation-disk-partitioners I've used make off-by-one
> errors in determining the start- and end-points of the partitions.  Not
> only does this make installation difficult, but if an operating system's
> culture is incapable of recruiting and training programmers who can
> answer basic seventh-grade-math-bowl questions like ``how many posts
> are in a six-meter fence with posts every meter?'', do you really want
> to trust their programs with valuable data?
>
> Why is it that when these Linux/PeeCee-centric organizations review an
> operating system, they dwell almost exclusively on _installation_,
> and do not attempt to make observations about the running system from
> their experiences as I just did?  Is their goal run Unix,
> or to install Unix?

I didn't see you make any observations about running a system..
partitioning is usually part of installing a system.  I think places
like twocows just want a piece of the action.  "Hm, many search engine
queries contain the word Linux or BSD, let's catch some of that traffic
for profit."

> Maybe we should all take a step backwards, and try to decide whether we're
> here to write a Unix or here to write a Unix installer.  If we're here to
> write an installer, we may as well follow Linux's lead by halting
> innovation on UVM, UBC, LFS, SMP, and ALTQ so that we can devote more
> resources to designing a desktop widgetset that includes a WordBASIC
> emulator that we can use in our installer.  It might also help to put
> statically-linked Perl in /bin and crunchide, and use it to rewrite sysinst
> from scratch, with some bash and Tcl glue scripts and imlib bindings
> thrown in---everyone is talking about Perl these days, and it's huge,
> so it _must_ be the language of the future.  We can either recode all
> of NetBSD in Perl now, or find ourselves left behind when all the
> competing distros go to grafical inst's.  If NetBSD doesn't start
> embracing the new advanced technologies like web-enabled administration
> tools with .asp's and .psp's, it won't be able to Compete with the
> installers of other Open Source (tm) Operating Systems.

Linux is further along with SMP, kernel threads and thread-safe libraries.

> I'll tell you one thing for sure:  writing installers seems to pay a
> helluva lot better than writing operating systems!  Who do we have to
> thank for this absurdity?

In terms of money, I don't think this statement is true.  If you call
Linux an operating system, remember that it is not centrally organized,
but a collection of separate projects.  The people who work on the kernel,
for instance, seldom care which installer is going to put their kernel
on a machine.

> If installers are really in such demand, it seems to me you'd want to
> choose the hardest-to-install Unix you can handle, so as to have the
> greatest boasting-rights.  Then, if someone installs a Unix which is
> different from the one you installed, you should be prepared with remarks
> about how that Unix is ``easy'' or ``lightweight'' or ``watered down for
> the unwashed masses,'' thus proving your superiority.  Given that scenario,
> I can understand why Linux is so popular, and I can understand why a
> Unix with simpler, less arcane, and more openly-documented installation
> procedures is maligned in the same article.  But, why is it maligned for
> being hard to install, when difficulty-of-installation is the virtue
> that earns users in this community their respect?
>
> You know what?  It doesn't matter!  Why?  Because the PeeCee is dead!

I've been hearing that rhetoric for many years now.  Sales don't pronounce
the PC dead yet!

> Why do you think NetBSD has been concentrating on the inexpensive
> interfaces (USB, IDE), on real-time kernel preemptibility (SMP),
> on the networking stack (IPsec, ALTQ, IPv6), on the key embedded CPU's
> (m68k, ppc, mips, arm, sh3), on a unified ELF toolchain, and on a
> cross-compilable build architecture?  Twocows is _not_ part of any
> sane master-plan.  Don't be reactionary about this.  There are no
> constructive comments in that nonsense article.  We do not need that
> writer's attention or approval.  Trust me:  when the shit hits the fan,
> NetBSD will be the only open project even close to ready for it.

Who's asking Twocows to be part of a master plan?  Who said Linux
developers intended their software to be eternal icons of purity?
When the shit hits the fan, there will still be bored hackers who
need a good time.

> What I'm really concerned about is, what's going to happen to the
> project's culture when people concerned more with making money than
> with writing code start wanting to contribute poorly-written junk.
> I am almost certain it will fork <cough>, perhaps many times, when code
> starts getting rejected.  People looking to make a purchase only see
> what you have, not how you got it.
>
> Then again, as long as the American tech industry completely collapses,
> we should be fine.

May I be corny?
The vultures want a sick cow to die, the farmer wishes to heal it.

Ben
--
Code softly and carry a big debugger.