Subject: Re: Someone please flame TwoCows
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@cosmic.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/06/2001 13:05:44
In article <Pine.BSO.4.20.0101060419090.18998-100000@grendel.bts>,
Louis Bertrand <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca> wrote:
>Just my two cents...
>
>Not a diss of FreeBSD specifically but in general, when those graphical
>installers screw up, they leave the user with little recourse: restart or
>question the integrity of the installation. The many possible paths
>through the menus are hard to test, and you may find that "you can't get
>there from here".

One of the things I love most dearly about NetBSD is the fact that
it installs so easily by hand... all you need is a boot floppy, a
handful of .tgz files and a brain and you're in business.

I pretty much can't stand graphical installers.  They all seem to have
one feature in common: they attempt to provide a warm fuzzy by
insulating the user from what's reallly going on.  When you actually
*care* about what's going on, that's infuriating.

Remember, 'insulate' is just two letters away from 'insult'.

cheers,
--Mirian