Subject: Re: Nick "Scrooge" Petreley Bashes BSDs
To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/24/2000 09:02:13
Greg Lehey wrote:

> Well, Brett, it's no secret that we don't exactly see eye to eye, but
> this time I'm left wondering what you're talking about.  To quote:
>
>   (To the tune of 'O Christmas Tree')
>
>   O BSD, O BSD!
>
> Not only would I not call that bashing, I'd call it advocacy.  Not the
> most spectacular advocacy, granted, but certainly in favour.  Oh, and
> he left out OpenBSD.  Before you see something sinister in that, I'd
> guess that he didn't care too much, and it was difficult to fit in.

Yeah, it's painfully accurate. Which is of course allways the pits.
To feel that proverbial finger pressing hard onto that verily painful
spot. Yet it was true, painful experiences usually are.

Het put his very finger on it.

BSD did loose the spotlight to Linux.

Which isn't bad in itself, just painfully true. Yet we also must
recognise the Changing of Times. The Winds are shifting to another
corner. They're starting to once again caress BSD cheeklets.

For consider, however popular even perfect Linux is or might be;
at its very core lies the True Hacker spirit in coil awaiting. Though
this is good it also is bad. One never knows when it might uncoil
and strike at whoom. It could be you, it could be me, it could even
be Microsoft.

To contrast take BSD. The Cathedral in prayer to the UNIX Gods. Very
predictable even if boring. Yet humanity loves boredom. Loves
predictability. HATES surprises, especially the nasty ones.

Hates, in short, insecurity.

BSD offers security. Offers even stability. No matter what flavor.
Flavors shift incessantly anyway.

Personally I'm convinced I'm detecting a slight, even gradual, shift
in the Winds of Favor over the course of at least the past three
years in the direction of not UNIX but BSD.

I might be wrong. But I doubt it ;).

The trick will be to maintain focus, thus the stability which
mankind loves.

NetBSD equates portability first, OpenBSD security and FreeBSD
speed and userfriendliness if we can call it that <g>.

It is also mandatory - according to me - that one never forgets we
- the johns - chose BSD because it's a server first and a client
second. Gnome and KDE might all be very well indeed, but though
even I've installed them I hardly run them if at all.

Let that be Linux's playground/ballpark/bailywick/whatever. Who
cares, it's not about serving/servilitude anyway.

As to the rest of it, still must finish reading the article, nay,
poem. But must say I'm mightily impressed. Whish I could even aspire
to come close to such artistic expression! I can write words, but
at rhyme? Whith such fluidity? Alas!

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis van de TGV op http://SlakkeHuis.com/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.