Subject: Which NetBSD ports are 64bit?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/02/2000 11:48:29
Sorry if this is a faq, but I cannot find the answer on the
NetBSD website...

What of the many NetBSD hardware ports provide true 64 bit
support?  (This means 64 bit pointers, 64 bit long ints!)
And of these NetBSD ports, which would be considered stable
enough for use in banking applications?  Currently we are
running banking software on NetBSD/i386 hardware, but we
wish to migrate to 64 bit systems due to many limitations
with large (> 20GB) databases & memory-maps) on 32 bit
systems.  The 64 bit hardware will be used as servers, with
no X, audio, mouse, etc.; it will only run ipfilter, ssh,
progresql, sendmail, and our own banking daemons.

We are planning to buy about 5 computers with 64 bit single
processors that must run NetBSD with true 64 bit support.
Even though NetBSD/alpha meets my requirements, the lack
of new development by alpha hardware makers (like compaq)
and the overpriced cost of NetBSD/sparc64 computers has
led me to consider other high preformance yet affordable
64 bit hardware choices like the NetBSD/macppc.

But Linux/macppc is only 32 bit, even though the macppc's
have 64 bit processors.  Which is why we need to make
sure we choose the right 64 bit hardware for NetBSD.

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Alicia.