Subject: Re: 1GHz MIPS CPU running NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/13/2000 14:01:36
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 11:30:55AM -0300, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 11:37:37PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > >See http://www.sibyte.com/pages/press/Oct_9_SB1250.html
> >
> > i also see that linux is actually linux(r).  hmm...
>
> Linus registered that, years ago.
>
> I'm not convinced that I see benefits of having NetBSD(r).
> (Not that I'm against someone registering it, just don't see why)

I am by no means a lawyer, but I think with patents you can demonstrate
prior art, ie someone can't patent something you've been using for years and
years. Now, laws are maybe not the most consistant thing in the world, but
it'd seem very unfair to me if someone could just register a 'trademark'
that has been in use for years by other organizations.
--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis