Subject: Re: emul compat pages?
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/04/2000 20:33:15
>> well...partly yes, and partly no.  IBCS2 stands for "Intel Binary
>> Compatibilty [sic, see compat_ibcs2(8)] Standard 2", so that's not
>> BSDI, but BSDI binaries are of the IBCS2 format.  yes?
>
>No, BSDI was a.out - just like NetBSD before 1.5. I think BSDI has
>moved to ELF but I'm not sure about that.

yep.  they elf now.

>As I also said, IBCS2 specifies an abi to the SVID which NetBSD does not
>natively support. I seriously doubt BSDI does either.

i think they do.  or they pretend to, at least.  thats why one needs
compat_ibcs2 in a config file for a kernel that will run bsdi
binaries.  i used to run a bsdi binary for netscape in this manner.

>> >IBCS2 allows us to run SCO XENIX, SCO UNIX, and some ISC UNIX binaries.
>>
>> "sco xenix" and "sco unix"?  hmm...i guess i'm getting a little out of
>> my depth.  still, if we can emulate BSDI, then i feel the list should
>> say so.  saying IBSC2 seems a little out of place, when (a) all the
>> other things in that list are operating systems and (b) surely there
>> are *other* operating systems out there that use IBCS2 that we cannot
>> emulate?
>
>We do emulate BSDI (up to version 2?) and any compatibility list should
>say that.

so newer versions of bsdi don't work?  that's a shame.  :(

>IBCS2 is basically the same as an OS in this context. IBCS2 is the system
>call interface used by SCO UNIX/XENIX. The only other IBCS2 OS I know of
>was ISC UNIX and the vendor-branded derivitives of that (WYSE, etc.)
>
>Again, BSDI has nothing to do with IBCS2.

except the emulation bit.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|