Subject: Re: emul compat pages?
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/04/2000 18:39:07
>IBCS2 is in no way related to BSDI.

well...partly yes, and partly no.  IBCS2 stands for "Intel Binary
Compatibilty [sic, see compat_ibcs2(8)] Standard 2", so that's not
BSDI, but BSDI binaries are of the IBCS2 format.  yes?

>IBCS2 is a binary interface standard for i386 application programs running
>on systems that implement the SVID. The last version I saw (1991) only
>specified the COFF executable format and x.out (XENIX) compatibility.

right.  the abi, yes?  that's the "word" i was looking for.

>IBCS2 allows us to run SCO XENIX, SCO UNIX, and some ISC UNIX binaries.

"sco xenix" and "sco unix"?  hmm...i guess i'm getting a little out of
my depth.  still, if we can emulate BSDI, then i feel the list should
say so.  saying IBSC2 seems a little out of place, when (a) all the
other things in that list are operating systems and (b) surely there
are *other* operating systems out there that use IBCS2 that we cannot
emulate?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|