To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Garry Dolley <garry@arpnetworks.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/30/2000 07:48:54
Here's an idea that I'm proposing to all three *BSD groups.  I'd like to
get others' feedback on it:

On my site, BSDSearch.Com, I have NetBSD's "netbsd-help" mailing list
gatewayed into Phorum (PHP software that runs the Message Forums
section). This provides an easy and friendly way for visitors to view
NetBSD's "help" mailing list and participate in the discussions without
actually subscribing to the list. However, if someone posts into the
forum, the message stays in the forum and does not go out into the list.
Phorum  has a feature that will let all messages posted in a forum also
be sent to a mailing list. I would like to do this, but I would not want
to turn the feature on if it would go against anyone's wishes on the
NetBSD crew. I was concerned that it could potentially create more
"noise" in the lists.

This is a very useful feature to help promote NetBSD and *BSD in
general.  Some newbies to *BSD may not know what a mailing list is or
how to  subscribe/post on one. The message forums on BSDSearch would
give those  newbies a way to read/search/post on the mailing lists with
very little trouble. Regular users would also be able to peruse a list
in real-time (as opposed to the archives) without having to receive each
message in their mailbox, or the entire digest each day. Overall, this
feature makes the mailing list very user friendly and would be great for
the further promotion of the BSDs (I will also put up OpenBSD and
FreeBSD's mailing lists after I consult with them).

Alternatively, it would be great for people who are "on the road" a lot,
like me.  Time and time again, I am somewhere where I can only access a
dumbass windows machine and I want to post something into a list.  When
I try to mail "netbsd-help@netbsd.org," Windows gives me the stupid
error that says I don't have Email configured for use and asks me to set
it up then and there.  That's where BSDSearch's message forum/mailing
list gateway would come in handy.  I can just go into the site and post
my question.  Ultimately, this feature would be nice for newbies and
experienced users alike.

Let me know what you guys think; I would really like to get approval on
this so I can put such a useful feature on my site!  Thanks!! :)

--
Garry Dolley
BSDSearch.Com