Subject: Re: Favourable Mention by Fred Moody
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/05/2000 18:05:52
> Personally, I'd suggest we just shut up and accept the complement.

I agree about the shutting up part, but you have to realize that the
article had very poor integrity and we do not want to be associated
with it.

There is already a rebuttal on the web site quoted in the article. It
blasts Moody for disobeying their disclaimer and using the statistics
(misreading them, too!) to "prove" a point in his piece.

> However, it is always an option to write to him and point out that
> OpenBSD has even fewer incidents. And perhaps put that on our web
> page, too.

Like I said, I agree about the shutting up part.

However, we have no way of knowing how representative those statistics
really are; suppose we are more honest about publicizing our bugs than
somebody else. That makes us look artificially bad on the graph.

You know, whenever somebody posts statistics like that, they end up
regretting it, as the original web site probably is now.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com