Subject: Re: Favourable Mention by Fred Moody
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: jrf <jrf@diverge.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/04/2000 20:42:47
Fred Moody is not the right person for this type of information and all of
the security through obscurity is wrong posts are right - but i will take
it a step further.

security depends on US, not Fred Moody's opinion. our experience as
engineers, admins, programmers - whatever - speaks for the security. NT
gets nailed *because it is insecure* because - big surprise, it is closed
source.

Open Source systems AND users have a tendancy to share methods of best
security. nothing speaks better than the document "the UNIX Security
Checklist" which dates back to 1995 (that is the most recent copy i could
find at usail) speaks for this.

NetBSD does not *need* such coverage. perhaps something like "netbsd is
secure because we have a clue" might be better :)

regards,
   jrf

  Jason (Jay) R. Fink WWW Home: diverge.org/jf E-mail: jrf@diverge.org
 "Upon completion of maintainence, throw away mysterious leftover parts"