Subject: Re: *BSD cooperation...
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/24/2000 01:19:28
Hi,

according to benchmarks published in ix (ix is a german unix focused
computer magazine) the 2.2.x kernels of linux are less than about 10 - 15%=

less scalable on multiple cpu=B4s (tested on 4 and 8 way x86 cpu machines)=

than solaris and SCO=B4s unixes, I will check for the exact numbers, these=
 tests
are based on benchmarks like the spec suite. I can remember an article in
daemonnews that said, FreeBSD was about 19% faster than Linux (do not
know which kernel freeBSD was compared to and the testsuite). The way I
interpreted that (may be wrong), the gap between commercial unixes and
FreeBSD/Linux is only marginal.

mike