Subject: RE: A desktop
To: Chris Silva <bitsurfer@makeworld.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/09/2000 05:23:40
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Chris Silva wrote:
<www.netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/>
> Actually -  would be more than happy to add mine to the collective...

Well, we already got some windowmaker screenshots, and I don't want that
page to become a simple screenshot-dumping-place. What I'm looking for
instead is some themed screenshots, showing NetBSD doing one thing or
another, see the existing entries (well, most of them ;-).

I think we could need

 * More games snapshots, for a start. We already got Quake, but several
   Linux games come to mind; no fullscreen-shapshots, though, displaying
   only game X.
 * Maybe some audio editing (not sure - at least there's already a pic w/
   some mp3 encoding going on),
 * some japanese/chinese desktop may be interresting (IF you're in the
   right locale for this :)
 * Emulations: C-64, DOS, Windows (wine), ... (see pkgsrc/emulator :)
 * mbone applications

If you make a screenshot, feel free to mail me an URL (GIF/PNG preferred,
please don't use JPEG for a screenshot; i'll do the thumbnails myself).
If you want to add a daemon to emphasize the OS, check out the
pkgsrc/x11/xdaemon package.

PLUS include some nice text - people probably know by now what a window
manager looks like, and how an xterm and Netscape look, no need for that.
Instead, describe the work you're doing with the applications, see the
above theme list and the page itself.

Looking forward for more shots,

				Hubert

--
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"