Subject: Re: T-shirts
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/16/2000 20:26:26
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>  wrote:
>  > Part of the problem is our perceived reliance on Kirk's artwork.  Let's face
>  > it:  we all believe that NetBSD is the one worthy to carry Li'l Hotstuff
>  > (ironic, since Kirk has little to do with us these days :)  OpenBSD managed to
>  > break away from the Daemon design, but I'm not sure we're ready (or willing)
>
> I don't know who has a perceived reliance on Kirk's artwork but to my knowledge,
> none of the people who have actually done t-shirts in the past (myself, Jason,
> Charles) have used any of Kirk's artwork.  Though I did use Kirk's artwork to
> make the beer labels, with permission, mostly out of convenience and timetable..

I meant only that the Baby Daemon -- and BSD==daemon -- was Kirk McKusick's idea, in whatever incarnation it happens to be in.  It's
not a puffer fish, or a penguin, it's a devil.  Do we want another mascot?  Hell no, I say.

> Some of her work can be seen on my stupid homepage: www.beer.org.
>
>  > to.  (Ironic, since didn't Theo design and sketch Iwo Daemon?)
>
> This is also false.  Theo and I sat in a pub one night shooting ideas at
> A mutual friend who produced the graphic in front of us. Theo did the first
> run of "Iwo Daemon" shirts before 1995 Usenix.
>
> You might consider checking your facts before basing a line of reasoning
> on them.

Thank you for clearing up that myth, Herb.  This group -- ostensibly an advocacy group -- is one of the sources for checking facts
related to the origins and history of NetBSD.  My wet, porous brain isn't as precise as it was back when I started working with
NetBSD 0.9.  This is why I posed it as a question, because I didn't trust my apocryphal recollection of the origin of said logo.
And you will forgive my aborted and misdirected attempt to offer a discourse on new directions for NetBSD's identity.

Man, who didn't eat their Wheaties this morning?

dhop