Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/09/2000 17:54:10
In message <Pine.BSI.3.96.1000309175411.935C-100000@doit.pgh.net>, Matthew Orga
ss writes:
>[moved to advocacy]

Probably the right idea.

>  They do not mention in the press release that other BSD systems exist.
>Later they say "BSDI intends to form a united front for the BSD operating
>systems."  So apparently BSD means BSDI and FreeBSD now.

Well, everything I've seen has indicated that the intent of marketing "BSD"
is to push the idea of BSD as opposed to Linux, and that is *not* intended
to be specifically about FreeBSD or BSD/OS.  However, I can understand your
concerns.  Would you mind if I forwarded some of this to some of the BSDI
folks?  I tend to agree that it's important to recognize that not all the
"BSD" systems are under one roof.  (Note that in other media, like the
slashdot interview, I believe they pointed out the specific intent that
collaboration with the other BSD projects happen.)

>  It might be helpful for TNF to put out a press release saying that it is
>great that they are releasing source but that other BSD systems do exist
>and will continue to exist.

While I have to admit, it might be a lot of fun, I'd like to push people on
both sides of this to try to resolve this *WITHOUT* getting into the endless
ego contests that have historically marked the BSD "community".

I personally tend to agree that some of the wording in the press releases
doesn't quite say what I think it should say, and I am inclined to believe
that this is not an intentional slight.

-s