Subject: Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/01/2000 21:52:15
Scott Bartram wrote:

>"Kevin P. Neal" wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 06:23:04PM -0500, Scott Bartram wrote:
>> > Wow, this Single Instance Store sure is an incredible advance in computing...
>> > Do you think we can implement something like this for NetBSD?
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp
>>
>> Kidding, right?
>
>Ohmigod yes, I was kidding. When I first read it I thought they (MS) were
>too.
>
>The incredible absurdity of "innovating" technology that's existed for
>what... at least 15 years?

Innovate doesn't mean "invented".  It simply means "introduced change".
Win<n>. doesn't have "x", M$ introduces "x" into Win<n> (drum roll) "innovation"
has occurred.  Not exactly "WOWIE" stuff in most cases but, innovation none the
less.

In an article that focused on "innovation" and "research" I especially liked the
paragraph that started:

    "Still a third contribution was the System and Networking Group's work
	 on the Internet Protocol Version 6 or IPv6, a new Internet protocol ..."

Damn'd nice of them to contribute such "innovation" ... doncha think? ;)
They don't claim any significant contribution but, the tone of the article
leads one on.

>> Sounds like a waste of time, a bunch of extra complexity that's going
>> to break sometime, or just plain unneeded (at least on Unix).
>
>Absolutely.

I fully expected to find FogHorn Legghorn at the end of the article.

Paul