Subject: Re: Request for Comments on article
To: Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/26/2000 03:58:22
[ I hope everyone does not mind me replying to this in the clear ]

>   2. Mercilessly flame any factual errors.  I've tried to be very careful,
>      but even one wrong fact kills credibility pretty quickly.

Okay, here goes.

	Beware of claiming that all graphics/sound support is general across
	all of the free unixes. Some of the Linux distributions are writing
	their own graphics/sound drivers and releasing them in their product
	well before anyone else gets a crack at the code. The real dogma here
	is that some people believe that they can buy anything they want and
	a Linux driver will be available RSN. If people really enjoy getting
	patch after patch, there's not much you can do to cure them.

	"VxWorx" --> "VxWorks"  see http://www.windriver.com ...

	My NetBSD-1.4.1 tower at home has an adaptec AIC7880 wide SCSI
	controller on the motherboard, and it runs great. The problem is not
	Wide SCSI per se, but rather Adaptec's most recent line of wide
	controllers, which require much device driver work. If you're stuck
	with one, just run FreeBSD, it supports them already.

	One argument for NetBSD on the ATAPI front is that the SCSI/ATAPI
	code is shared, something which is possible because ATAPI is really
	just a sneaky way to send SCSI messages over IDE. ATAPI devices have
	a lot of quirks however, and the next stable release (1.4.2) knows a
	lot more about them.

	You could also mention that due to the advance progress on USB and
	the recent integration of serious CardBus/PC-Card code in NetBSD,
	much attention is now being devoted to hot-swapping, which is another
	item that Linux doesn't seem to have much of a clue about.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com