Subject: Re: Anyone know of pre-installed NetBSD systems available?
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/12/2000 20:27:26
On 11 Feb 2000, Ty Sarna wrote:

> In article <8766vv4p9t.fsf@snark.piermont.com>,
> Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not a fan of netex -- Telenet is a lot more professional.
>
> I've never dealt with netex, but I was thinking of maybe ordering from
> them soon, so I'd appreciate any experiences (privately, if you prefer).

I picked up my first server from Telenet about a week ago. (It was
their 2.5 U system.) My only real complaint is that, though I got dual
hot-swap power suplies, they have only one power input. (I like to have
two power inputs, each one on a different circuit. Two also makes cleaning
up cabling in a rack much easier, since you can then unplug and re-plug
power for short periods of time just as you can with Ethernet.)

I cruised around their web site for a bit, but for the final order I just
rang up someone there and got him to fax me a quote. This was much easier.

They are also reasonably speedy; I got my server a week after I ordered
it. Penguin computing, whom I also looked at, wanted 10-14 business days.

My only complaint about the configuration was trivial: they put the
external SCSI connector on the non-LVD channel of the two-channel on-board
SCSI. Moving the internal cable from one connector to another was not
too difficult. :-)

I can't say anything about Telnet's OS installs, as we buy our servers
without disks.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.