Subject: Re: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/02/2000 23:53:30
> > Another thing that crossed my mind: There is a category for printers---is
> > it handled in a special manner?  With the possible exception of USB
> > printers, it seems that dmesg output really doesn't apply to most
> > ``consumer printers''.  (E.g., typical parallel-port printers.)
>
> I'm not realy concerned about most paralell printers.. most of that is a
> ghostscript issue.. (or whatever)..  I put that (along with keyboards and mice)

Granted.  But just because it's not a kernel issue doesn't lessen the
value of knowing: Can I use <X> with a NetBSD system?  (The meaning of
that question is vague, so let me nail it down to what I think is the most
useful interpretation: Can I use <X> with NetBSD with, at most, building a
custom kernel, installing software out of our package system, and using
drivers provided by the manufacturer?)

Not to say that there aren't good reasons for seperating out the hardware.
Even I can come up with one or two, I think.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com