Subject: Re: IPv6 on your business card?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 17:01:34
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Miles Nordin wrote:

> I'd be 10x more likely to buy CD's and burn them if someone else had
> already worked out all the brainwork for me.  I know people.  I can hand
> out CD's to them.  But, frankly I'm too lazy and irritated by the whole
> _idea_ of CD's to make a bunch of coasters trying to come up with a
> correct ``distribution'' when my install method is to netboot the damn
> thing from my Sparcbook and install with 'pax -p e -r -w'.

I feel exactly the same way. Given that CD-Rs are easily available
for fifty cents each in bulk, and I can burn a full one in fifteen
minutes in the morning whilst getting ready for work, and give it away
to whomever I come across that day. If someone were, on a weekly basis,
making an ISO image of current available that boots and installs i386,
sparc, alpha and macppc, and contains a tarred source tree and package
tree, I'd be quite happy, and would burn these and give them away on a
regular basis (as well as use them myself).

I note that, for the releases, Charles was concerned (not without some
justification) that this would cut in to CD sales and make it more
difficult to do a run of CDs at release time.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org