Subject: Re: IPv6 on your business card?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 11:10:29
this is going OT very quickly...  this is the last I have to say about
it on the list.  Followups to private email.

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 11:05:41AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> "Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com>  wrote:
>  > These things are not good for your CD-ROM drive, since they're
>  > inherently unbalanced.  The 3" CDs follow the ISO spec, won't strain
>  > your CD-ROM, and hold more (180MB)...
>
> Is that just speculation or based on some authoritative information.

I could've sworn my plextor manual warned against using these things,
but after checking, I must've been hallucinating.  The only things I
could find mechanically were possible problems with using caddies or car
audio-style slot-loaders.  There was also some speculation that cut CDs
will degrade faster than non-cut CDs since the edges of the recording
media are often exposed to air.  [1]

> the designs I've seen seem intuitively 'balanced'.

I guess you can have a computer program (or a physics student) calculate
the center of mass for you... ;)

[1] http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq07.html#[7-15]

  "Time Correct function allows automatically correcting slight variation
   of your key touching manner."  --  Roland MSQ-700 manual