Subject: Re: Better than..
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/05/2000 13:02:23
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:48:35 +0000 (BST), Neil A. Carson wrote:
>Can't you just moyunt the Linux FS synchronously? In the latest kernels
>I"m pretty sure that behaviour is there. I don't know if it will help save
>your mail or not, though. And people whilttle too much about performance
>to make this the default mount option which is IMHO stupid.

IIRC, it's been there all along.  I've worked with Linux boxen where it's
turned on, and the file systems run *reallllllyyyyy sllllloooowwwwwllllyyyy*,
which is why they're set to async by default.  Even so, I prefer sync as
I've seen far too many systems hit by some sort of hardware fault (or power
outage, or something else).