Subject: Re: Better than..
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/05/2000 11:35:35
In message <200001051727.MAA14265@grosse.manhattan.fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes
:
>End users should not have to evaluate whether or not some aspect of a
>system is risky.  It should just work.  There should be no risk, at
>least in cases where it's possible for there to be no risk.

And most importantly, if there *IS* a risk, there should be adequate
diagnostics.

I spent about four or five hours trying to install Caldera, because the Linux
installer didn't notice that the CD was reporting "couldn't do that, sorry",
so it just installed arbitrary byte-streams for some commonly used files (like
'init').

The NetBSD installer caught this the moment it looked at the CD, and said it
couldn't read the CD.

FWIW, the "if anything goes wrong, we'll tell you" thing is why my mom's
laptop runs NetBSD.  :)

-s