Subject: Re: Better than..
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/05/2000 17:12:44
On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 04:22:56PM +0100, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> I have the Netgear GA620, it is the same driver for the 3Com and
> Acenic Gigabit adapters. Drivers are available for linux and
> OpenBSD, I donīt know of a NetBSD driver or another card to be

These boards are supported under NetBSD, I'm about to buy one or two
as soon as I've found a reseller :)

> uavailable for NetBSD. I think the GB card should work in the server
> for 5 to 10 years, a good reason to buy one. The same is to be said
> for my old SmartCache IV and the IPC Raid controllers. The file
> server serves mainly workstations with office applications and in
> future will serve NCīs, so Linux was a smart choice I think (the
> router works under NetBSD).
>
> As for software, I know of many need to use VMWare, available for
> Linux and NT - only one choice for me.

Hum, doesn't VMWare run under NetBSD with linux emulation ?

> --- Schnipp ---
> PS: another thing I forgot to add: my linux clients have problems with
> the solaris NFS server, sometime they just hang, sometime the local
> cache gets corrupt. The ethernet driver is a bit flacky for these
> boards (SMC) but this shoudl't prevent NFS from recovering.
> --- Schnapp ---
>
> I have heard of problems with Solaris NFS, thought they were solved
> with latest kernel versions, but as I donīt have this problem around I
> havenīt followed it.

At the time I did try the last stable kernel without success (things were
worse, I reverted to 2.2.5). time to look at the ftp site again and see if
another stable kernel is out :)