Subject: Re: C-Kermit 7.0 finished
To: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/02/2000 07:26:05
On Sat, 1 Jan 100, Frank da Cruz wrote:

> I have C-Kermit 7.0 finished and ready to release, at least as far as
> the code is concerned.  I have nearly 100 binaries built, including a
> couple for NetBSD 1.4.1 on Intel, and hoped some of you would have a
> chance to build some of those I can't build myself -- especially on
> Sparc and other non-Intel platforms, and/or for older (or newer?)
> NetBSD releases -- and upload them to:
>
>   ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/incoming/
>
> as cku196.netbsd-arch-vvv, where arch is "i386", "sparc", etc, and
> vvv is the netbsd version, like "1.4.1", for example:
>
>   cku196.netbsd-i386-1.4.1
>
> The current and (unless disaster srikes) final sources are at:
>
>   ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/test/special/unix.tar.gz

I've already updated the NetBSD package to 7.0.beta11, and I have a
couple of minor nits already. One patch escaped your pull-ups
(patch-ad: a long -> time_t). I've found, too, that -DNOICP doesn't
compile cleanly without patches--I want the package to build with a
"KERMIT_LITE" option suitable for remote machines with stingy disk
quotas. It also looks like we should be building with -DSUNX25 all the
time, also -DCK_DTRCD and -DCK_DTRCTS. "DTRCTS" is needed for the
mac68k. Since the API's are machine independent, there's no reason
not to build all three on all ports.

I'm still looking for the correct place to set CK_DTRCD and CK_DTRCTS;
I'll submit patches as soon as I've wrapped it up, maybe today or
within a couple of days.

Oh yeah, the man page doesn't build on NetBSD. I expect you knew that?
So this is something for a future point release?

I have read your new license, but given the controversy, I'm afraid to
touch the RESTRICTED= in the package. Have you sent mail yet to
core@netbsd.org about that?

Take care.