Subject: ports <-> products list
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Cline <Cline@d2tech.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/30/1999 12:56:37
I'd like to suggest a web page which answers the following type of =
question:

"Which port of netbsd do I need to run on my <brand-name product I just
bought>"

or,

"I want to run netbsd on a <platform type>, so what <brand-name product>
should I buy and which port should I use?"

For example, I've been looking at PDAs; different brands & models have
different CPU's; it is not apparent to me which, if any, port of netbsd =
might run
on any of the brands & models.  (Or which, if any, might be deserving of =
some
dev support.)  Currently, there's a list of ports, and what CPUs are =
supported
by the port, but it's rather obfuscated.

Another example, I have been wondering if I should invest in another
architecture other than PC-clone; I'd like to be able to browse a list of
products I can look at buying, knowing that they run netbsd.  (I don't =
know
much about non-PC's, except that they're better :o)

(If anyone has suggestions on a non-PC-platform to use for general =
development
& networking, not necessarily screaming performance, I wouldn't mind =
hearing
about it, something less than $500, and not legacy.)