Subject: make install does nothing (was Re: My prayers have been heared!)
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/16/1999 19:18:41
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Rick Kelly wrote:

> The pkg tools seem to have stopped working.

> When I do a make in: /usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> it compiled okay, but "make install" returns immediately

Maybe there is a flag file around from a previous install, causing make
to think the install is already done. Try

make cleandir && make install

The flags are hidden files in <package_dir>/work/.<whatever> in case
you're curious and didn't know already.

you might also consider blowing away /usr/pkgsrc and extracting it afresh
from a source tarball.

Your problem doesn't ring a bell for me, so someone else may have wiser
and more specific advice.  But a lot of people seem to have had problems
from running sup without the delete option, or somehow otherwise getting
an inconsistent source tree that doesn't match what the actual tree looked
like at any point in history.  Likewise, sup can update things outside
make's knowledge of dependencies, like Makefile's for example.  so these
two suggestions can be good things to try in general. Hopefully your
problem is something simple like this.

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US