Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/15/1999 01:59:00
>    that work, and we probably will.  For now, we are self-hosting on the
>    EB's, and the build system is clean enough that you can get work done
>    even on a slow board.  Wind River doesn't, cannot, and never will have
>    a self-hosted toolchain.

What makes you so sure?

There's no guarantee they won't start supporting MMU's and more process-like
features, or port NetBSD or Linux (bleah) to run as a low-priority task on
top of the realtime scheduler. There are examples of these strategies in the
marketplace already, but none of those has gone anywhere significant yet.

Disclaimer: I work for WRS but only as a grunt.
Don't take anything I say as a hint about future plans.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com