Subject: Re: Why run NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <collver@mad.scientist.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/10/1999 22:47:37
On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 10:54:56PM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:

> Or did you mean something else?

  I remembered incorrectly.  Just for fun I booted the install floppy to
refresh my memory.  The install kernel detected the serial ports and the
install floppy includes tip.

>    I installed on a lap top sans NIC and CD-ROM.  With FreeBSD I used the
>    single boot floppy and did the rest of the install through a serial port.
>    With NetBSD I had to write quite a few floppies and sit in front of the
>    machine swapping floppies.
>
> No real need for this.  The problem is that sysinst does not let you
> configure the slip (or ppp) interface.  PR install/8344 (and a related
> one PR install/8349 for tip) lets sysint present the full list of
> interfaces so that you can configure and use slip or whatever.  The
> real solution is to integrate that functionality a bit better, but at
> least this will enable one with a bit of knowledge to get through the
> install from a serial line easier.

  Thanks for the solution. :)  I see that you ran into the same problem,
but had a bit if knowledge.

--
     Ben Collver -- collver@mad.scientist.com
     GPG (PGP) key available from http://www.dnc.net/users/collver/gpg.txt