Subject: Re: Why run NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <collver@mad.scientist.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/10/1999 20:25:24
> I'd appreciate any input. Right now I have:

Sure! :)

>Although NetBSD runs on like 27 more archs than you probably have, it
>still offers you:

Will it be stable on the IA-64 as soon as Linux?  (plenty of room for
wisecracks about stability here)

>    * State of the art device drivers (shall I say soundcard? :-) Oh, and
>      just in case you need features like serial console or a netboot...

Linux supports my sound card fine.  For several months I used a vt320 as
the console for my Linux box, and I've booted using NFS for my root
filesystem.

>    * Installation from floppy, CD, disk, tape, NFS, FTP, ...

The FreeBSD install used to only require one floppy, the rest could be done
over a dial-up connection.  Now FreeBSD requires two floppies, but it will
still work over a dial-up or plain serial connection.

> Probably the only thing you won't get with NetBSD is the media hype.
> You'll need to get that somewhere else. :-)

Would it bother you if NetBSD had media hype?

I'm very impressed with it; I think NetBSD deserves to have hardbound books
devoted to it.

-----
     Ben Collver -- collver@mad.scientist.com
     GPG (PGP) key available from http://www.dnc.net/users/collver/gpg.txt