Subject: Re: Which OS would YOU choose?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/08/1999 17:03:03
Miles Nordin writes:

> Now you are mixing up words.  You never needed a license to get the right
> to antagonize somebody.

Correct, so what do the Clauses have to do with any of this discussion?
I don't believe I was the one referencing them. :-)

> Our license says we have the right to recognition for the use of our code.
> Nothing flashy is demanded, just a simple acknowledgement.  Thus, the
> _spirit_ of the license encourages us to publicise the people we know are
> using NetBSD.  We know they are using it because of the acknowledgement we
> demanded they make.

Well, if printing something in the back page of the User's Guide is legally
compliant with the license, I don't see the issue.

Certainly it would be nice to get some credit for it, but it is not required,
and this fact is known upfront when the code is committed with the copyright
statement.  If people don't fully understand the ramifications of the
license when they add it to their software, that is a different issue.

> Negotiating with companies is a Good Thing.  but, if they want us to do
> something special for them, like helping them conceal the fact that
> they're using NetBSD, then they need to bring something to the Table
> besides their ``love and good will.''  That's all I'm saying.

I agree, we shouldn't be in the concealing information business.  That
doesn't mean we're in the "Freedom of Information" business.

> ``We *do not* want to antagonize *any*'' user is exactly the kind of
> idealistic and poorly defended sentimentalism I'm objecting to.  I think
> that we should be more pragmatic.

Uhmm, I have not defended that "sentimentalism" yet.  I merely proposed
it in that message.  As for being factual, I don't think we should mix
the facts regarding license compliance with the "facts" about marketing
our "product" to the world.

I won't attempt to defend my statement other than to say that we should
not alienate users.  I often hear complaints about certain other members
(past) of the project or other projects (current), and how the behavior
of the individuals was highly negative, and tended to alienate users.
Certainly you're not talking of this kind of extreme, but it is one
small step in (IMHO) the wrong direction.

Do you think we should try to "force" NASA to admit they are sending a
NetBSD machine into space?  I don't see how this is ethical, based on
the BSD copyright.  I don't believe pragmatism has much to do with
marketing either.. :-)

Better yet would be to off them free advertising on www.netbsd.org, and
hope they accept.  A writeup on their product for DaemonNews would be
very nice also.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.