Subject: Re: Which OS would YOU choose?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/08/1999 08:14:47
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:

> Suppose you have a product.  Suppose it will be released within 6
> months.  Suppose you want it to be embedded-ish -- that is, you don't
> want normal users mucking with the system binaries, but only to use
> your config tool.
>
> It will probably run on x86, but it might run on an ARM.
>
> It needs threads.  I know NetBSD is working on that, but it isn't
> quite there yet.  But I'm working on that, and I hope it'll be there
> before too much longer.
>
> Now, suppose you want to use a free Unix.  Can anyone give real life,
> honest, unbiased opinions on:
>
> Should NetBSD be used?

Works on both x86 and ARM.  Is currently shipping in `embedded'
systems with both CPU types.  Has multiple user-level thread libraries
available (albethey quirky).  Some commercial applications are already
available to ship (for a price).

There's also a proven (though unfortunately not public!!) track record
of developers doing consulting for hardware vendors to get NetBSD up
on new platforms.

> Should FreeBSD be used?

Never ran on ARM.  Could require months of development just to get it
booted, and you'll definitely have to fund all the OS development and
debugging.

> Should OpenBSD be used?

Ditto, but probably less work.

> Should Linux be used?

The only ARM platform shipped with Linux *you can't get the source
for, even though that flagrantly violates the GPL*.  So you get to
reinvent the wheel anyway.