Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD.
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/08/1999 07:43:51
I'll tell you what the real screws are.

1) Companies like NCI and IBM, which are actively using NetBSD and
   quite possibly shipping millions of units running NetBSD, do not in
   any way advertise this.  I looked on the various IBM web sites, and
   could find NO REFERENCE WHATSOEVER to NetBSD.  I'm not sure which
   is the more disturbing notion: that they're afraid to say they're
   not using Linux, or that they're ashamed to say they're using
   NetBSD.

2) Since we have no commercial backers, ~95% of the funding for things
   like CD-ROM production and tradeshows has come out of my pocket.
   Due to various screwage (which I won't go into here, because I just
   know it will engender a pissing match), most of this money has not
   been recovered.  That's making it difficult for me to continue
   doing this, and is currently preventing me from getting a new web
   commerce site up to sell CDs and T-shirts.

BTW, Linux Mall currently has a limited supply of the `official' CDs
in stock.  See:

http://www.linuxmall.com/shop/01543
http://www.linuxmall.com/shop/01546
http://www.linuxmall.com/shop/01549

I'm also talking with other sites about carrying NetBSD-related
merchandise (including beer glasses).