Subject: Re: Which OS would YOU choose?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/08/1999 06:21:59
> Of course, like I said, it's probably all some sort of underhanded
> donkeyfaced misunderstanding.  Still, this looks to me not like yet
> another random sucky thing that happened to us, but rather like something
> the project already anticipated, decided about, and took precautions to
> prevent--and now we're just whimping out about it.  What's more, it's not
> entirely our call--Berkeley is a victim here, too.  Can we ethically
> support a vendor when we know for a fact that they are violating their
> license with Berkeley?  This seems shady, to say the least, and may even
> put NetBSD folk who work with these vendors at risk.  Why is this
> tolerable?
>
> --
> Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
> 555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US

FYI -- the copyright requirement changed this year.

NOTE: The copyright of UC Berkeley's Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD")
source has been updated.  The copyright addendum may be found at
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change and is
included below.

July 22, 1999

To All Licensees, Distributors of Any Version of BSD:

As you know, certain of the Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD") source
code files require that further distributions of products containing all or
portions of the software, acknowledge within their advertising materials
that such products contain software developed by UC Berkeley and its
contributors.

Specifically, the provision reads:

"     * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
      *    must display the following acknowledgement:
      *    This product includes software developed by the University of
      *    California, Berkeley and its contributors."

Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer required to
include the acknowledgement within advertising materials.  Accordingly, the
foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix files containing it is hereby deleted
in its entirety.

William Hoskins
Director, Office of Technology Licensing
University of California, Berkeley
---
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.dyndns.org
      Three things never anger: First, the one who runs your DEC,
      The one who does Field Service and the one who signs your check.