Subject: Re: init.d is back
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/07/1999 20:08:25
On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:01:57 -0700 (MST)
> Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET> wrote:
>
> > I thought init.d was a fine idea, too, until I started using NetBSD and

A great idea that I've never seen but two people use -- one for
shutting off terminals and one to get out of X. Can anyone give me an
example of how anyone has used that twisted little maze of abominable
symlinks into inet.d productively? _All_ of he SYSV machines that I've
seen run in one of two states -- on or off.

As near as I can tell, that whole maze of rc?.d nonsense was for the
benefit of large software vendors who get the $200/hr for support
instead of the poor slob who has to maintain the machine.

I hope init.d isn't in NetBSD's future.

-- Jay