Subject: Re: Which OS would YOU choose?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/07/1999 21:39:56
On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 06:08:25PM -0700, Miles Nordin wrote:
> How is it that this isn't legally very much our business?  NetBSD deserves
> [...]
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

In the docs...

>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *	This product includes software developed by the University of
>  *	California, Berkeley and its contributors.

In advertising - when _mentioning features or use of this software_.

The first just covers an appendix in the manual (or equiv)
The second says if we claim to use UVM, USB, bus_space... we have to say
where it's from.

That's always the way I've read it. Remember an attractive part of the
BSD license is allowing people to copy/use the code, or parts of it,
without overly taxing requirements.

Even so, it would be nice of people who enjoy the use of the code to
make an entry for our gallery pages, it's very little effort for them,
and very useful to us. It also helps attract more developers, giving
them access to more/better useful code in the future, that's a
win/win for certain.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown